Belur was the early capital of the Hoysala Empire. With Halebidu which is only 16 km away, this is one of the major tourist destinations in Karnataka. Belur is located in Hassan district. According to inscriptions discovered here, it was also referred to as Velapuri.
- Around 50km from our Chikmaglur stay.
- This is one of the major tourist destinations in Karnataka.
- The main attraction in Belur is the Chennakeshava temple complex which contains the Chennakesava Temple (dedicated to Chennakeshava, meaning handsome Vishnu) as the centre piece, surrounded by the Kappe Chennigraya temple built by Shantaladevi, queen of king Vishnuvardhana.
- There are two more shrines here that are still in use by devotees and there is a Pushkarni or stepped well to the right side of the main entrance. The Dravida style rayagopuram at the entrance which was a later addition by the Vijayanagar kings, who considered this deity as one of their Kuladevata or family god.
- Halebidu (literally "old city") is located in Hassan District, Karnataka, India. It is to some of the best examples of Hoysala architecture.
- Halebidu was the 12th-13th century capital of the Hoysala empire. It enshrines Hoysaleswara and Shantaleswara, named after King Vishnuvardhana Hoysala and his Queen Shantala Devi.
Enjoy & Remember Great Times with us
every single moment will be a guaranteed treasureGet in Touch